Achieving success at publicizing a good content remains the best way to attract traffic to the content (digital product) that promotes a brand, its products and services.
The success to a large extent, depends on picking appropriate internet marketing channels to get the content to the target consumers.
What then is an internet marketing channel?
Internet marketing channel consists of the content creator (producer or representative of a brand), the user (or consumer) and the preferred intermediary for transferring possession of the content to the user.
A good intermediary (channel) should make the end user have the content they want at when they want it and at where they want it. In essence, a good channel should satisfy in terms of time, reliability, design and place.
In summary, the marketing channel chosen should perform three fundamental functions namely, logistics, facilitative and transactional.
There are different types of marketing channels. They are the industrial goods, consumer goods, reverse and horizontal marketing channels. Others are the service, multi channel and electronic marketing channels.
The internet marketing channel falls within the electronic marketing channels. Internet marketing is used by many brands to drive sales now.
It has come to stay, there is no way a business can grow now without the use of internet marketing to broadcast and sell its products and services.
Brands have many internet marketing tools like blogs, audios, videos and social media platforms to choose from. The problem is in knowing the most appropriate to use at any given time.
The following considerations could guide a brand to choose the most suitable internet marketing channels that would add value and boost sales.
- The product features consideration: Different types of content have different life span, varying degrees of complexity and seasonal relevance.
The type of content and lifespan depend on brand’s products, demand cycle and demographics. So all these should be considered during the process of choosing a marketing channel to publicize the brand and its products through internet marketing.
It will not be appropriate to publicize a content with longer lifespan the same way a content with a shorter lifespan is publicized.
2. The environmental consideration: The location of the target audience (market) is an important consideration when a choice of a marketing channel has to be made.
Except when an exclusive consideration is given prominence, an internet marketing channel that guarantees widest product delivery to target audience should not be overlooked for the one that doesn’t.
3. The exclusive distribution. If the prevailing marketing goal is to deliver to an exclusive market segment then an appropriate marketing channel should be chosen.
This choice is going to see the brand put all available marketing resources to get the very best out of them..
In other words, it’s going to create an effective and efficient internet marketing drive and save funds which would have been wasted on an unnecessary marketing campaign.
4. The intensive distribution. In contrast to extensive distribution, a brand may choose comprehensive to reach wider audience and generate big sales.
What is important here is to give a brand and its products maximum exposure to maximum number of customers possible regardless of the attendant high advertising budget..
5. The selective distribution consideration. A brand that adopts selective distribution as a marketing policy is selective in choosing internet marketing channels.
A brand may run promotions on channels selected on the basis of population of users and demographics.
It is important at this to take a brief look at some of the available internet (electronic) marketing channels, a brand may decide to go with;
- Email marketing,- the form of marketing which is used to inform customers on a company’s email list about products, product information, innovations, discounts and other developments.
2. Conversion Rate Optimization (CRO) – this is made up of steps taken to optimize landing pages of a company’s site and sponsored ads to increase the chances of site visitors taking desired actions.
3. Social Media Marketing (SMM) is the use of social media channels to market a company’s products and services.
4. Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is used to improve the quality and the quantity of traffic to a site. It’s about creating search engine optimization friendly content to help search engines rank it high.
5. Affiliate marketing – is a advertising tool which a brand compensates a third party (an affiliate) to generate leads to the brand’s products and services.