What is data storytelling?
It’s a storytelling skill that is used to break down hard to understand data to an easy to understand narrative.
A data driven storytelling is a tool for analyzing and filtering large data to present a position with a high engagement and a significant conversion rates.
What are the qualities of a good data driven storytelling?
- What best defines a data driven storytelling is the speed at which a layman audience takes an action on the basis of information supplied.
For the information supplied to win new clients, data information shouldn’t just be boring numbers and analytical tools. Complex data should be explained using relatable examples. There should be a correlation between data and content (story).
Therefore, real life examples which resonate with audience should be used to work figures into a story. This is an effective way to create a data visualization that benefits the audience without them exerting too much mental energy.
2, Show a great enthusiasm about the story. If you want to evoke the desired emotion in your audience then you must feel the story deep within you and manifest that feeling.
Your audience has to see and sense your excitement and hear same in your voice to be excited too. It may be difficult to get this result if you are not passionate and comfortable with your data and visualization tools. And if you haven’t researched your audience very well.
3. Be emotional. Where the data paint a dismal picture, use your tone to convey the disappointment.
On the other hand, where your story data offer a solution; hope and belief, appropriate emotional signals should be used.
4. Create suspense by building an interesting story around your data. At the beginning, be deliberately slow while crafting the background. This is where you define your objectives to align with the audience you have.
As you begin to build your story, be a little unpredictable as much as you can to keep your audience guessing about where it’s all going.
Gradually, flesh out your characters, their locations their roles and show why all these matter to the goal of the story.
While at it, use visualization tools that enhance clarity and simplicity. The goal is always to get your audience to enroll in at the end of your story. It would be difficult to get them on-board if you get them confused.
By the time you finish a compelling narrative, most members of the audience should have reached the decision to say ‘Yes’.
This is the overriding objective of using the data driven storytelling approach; to win a loyal customer because;
- A loyal customer adds mouth watering values to a brand.
A returning customer is known to buy more than a first time customer. Their tendency to spend more results in increased sales revenue.
2. A loyal customer is a brand ambassador who is not on the company’s payroll. One happy and satisfied customer could be expected to come back with one more customer.
If a company had 20 new loyal and happy customers and each encouraged 20 new customers to join the company’s brand loyalty family. The company would end up with 400 loyal and happy customers. An effective data driven storytelling marketing approach can make this happen because it is directed and customized.
It helps to build direct relationships with customers.