Who are you, why are you here and what really matters in life? You may find the answers to life’s toughest questions in Buckminster Fuller’s wise quotes.
1 I am a passenger on the spaceship Earth.
2. I am convinced that creativity is a priori to the integrity of the universe and that life is regenerative and conformity meaningless.
3. Dare to be naïve.
4. You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.
5.There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it’s going to be a butterfly.
6. I live on Earth at present, and I don’t know what I am. I know that I am not a category. I am not a thing — a noun. I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process – an integral function of the universe.
7. Never forget that you are one of a kind. Never forget that if there weren’t any need for you in all your uniqueness to be on this earth, you wouldn’t be here in the first place. And never forget, no matter how overwhelming life’s challenges and problems seem to be, that one person can make a difference in the world. In fact, it is always because of one person that all the changes that matter in the world come about. So be that one person.
8. Human beings always do the most intelligent thing…after they’ve tried every stupid alternative and none of them have worked
9. Everything you’ve learned in school as “obvious” becomes less and less obvious as you begin to study the universe. For example, there are no solids in the universe. There’s not even a suggestion of a solid. There are no absolute continuums. There are no surfaces. There are no straight lines.
10.I’m not trying to counsel any of you to do anything really special except dare to think. And to dare to go with the truth. And to dare to really love completely.
11. Everyone is born a genius, but the process of living de-geniuses them.
12. In order to change an existing paradigm you do not struggle to try and change the problematic model. You create a new model and make the old one obsolete
13. If you want to teach people a new way of thinking, don’t bother trying to teach them. Instead, give them a tool, the use of which will lead to new ways of thinking.
14. The minute you choose to do what you really want to do, it’s a different kind of life..
15. Humanity is acquiring all the right technology for all the wrong reasons.
16. Mistakes are great, the more I make the smarter I get.
17. We should do away with the absolutely specious notion that everybody has to earn a living. It is a fact today that one in ten thousand of us can make a technological breakthrough capable of supporting all the rest. The youth of today are absolutely right in recognizing this nonsense of earning a living. We keep inventing jobs because of this false idea that everybody has to be employed at some kind of drudgery because, according to Malthusian Darwinian theory he must justify his right to exist. So we have inspectors of inspectors and people making instruments for inspectors to inspect inspectors. The true business of people should be to go back to school and think about whatever it was they were thinking about before somebody came along and told them they had to earn a living